Tuesday, November 18, 2008

So awful a 10 year old could do it

Enjoy my new icon. It was one of my first times using photoshop and is...as stated....awful. I know kids that could do better. Which, by the way, is why I canceled my XBOX 360 live gold membership. For those of you who don't know the gold membership for XBOX live allows you to play others head to head in games like Halo, Brothers in Arms or cooperatively in role playing games. I had an abundance of time on my hands in the Summer, so I signed up. (It's not that expensive if you buy a multi-month package) ANYWAY- I spent most of my time playing one of my favorite games, Halo 3, only to be schooled and shot in the head repeatedly by foul mouthed 10 year olds. Here I was trying to watch my language and listening to kids who were like "Hi, how old are you?", which instantly tells you that you are not competing with all adults. (It was about a 50/50 kid to adult ratio I would say)
Here is what a conversation might go like:
Kid: "Hi, how old are you?"
Me"...uuuhh..old. Let's just kill things, okay?"
Kid: "Wow, you're like an adult, huh?"
Me: "Yeah, this game was pretty much made for adults. You know it's rated.."
Kid: " I'm only 12. I like this game. But there are lots of faggots who play this game, too. I hate those faggots"
Me: "Whoa, you shouldn't say that."
Kid: "Say what?"
Me: "You shouldn't say fag or faggots. Do you know..."
Kid 2: "Yeah I was playing with this fag the other day and he totally cheated."
Me" ugh"
Kid 1: Yeah I can't stand when fags do that shit. Neither can my brother. He's playing with us, too. He's only eight.
8 year old: Yeah, fuck them faggots we played yesterday!

As you can see, kids these days who play Halo 3 love to shoot computer generated super soldiers, cut me off when talking, have no social skills, curse and use the word fag, faggot, faggoty, etc, even though I am pretty sure they have no idea what the word really means. (Neither did I at that age, but that story is for another day.)

And despite schools, parents and celebrities doing court mandated PSAs, kids still love to give out personal info on the web. Here is another scenario of what it was like playing this game.

Me: "Hey team. Let's kick some ass!"
kid 1: Hey, wow I like your accent! Where are you from BC.
Me: America
Kid 1: Me too. But like, where in America?
Me: The best part. Oh shit I just got sniped.
Kid 1: Man, fuck them faggots.
Me: You shouldn't say..
Kid 1: I'm from Boston.
Me: Oh, cool.
Kid 1: Yeah, my parents aren't home so I just play Halo all day.
Me. Mhmm. ( I finally kill another player, he has like 25 kills) I can see that.
Kid 1: Yeah, do you know where (fill in random name) store is? I live right behind..
Me.UHHH. I don't want to know.
Kid 1: No, no, you know where the...
Me: Signing off!
Wow. And I thought my generation was stupid. Now, seriously no kid was ever that bad about giving personal info, but I bet if someone tried that they would. TALK to your kids about this shit, please America.



No comments: