Friday, November 28, 2008

Action Movies and Dance Movies are Inbred Cousins

It's true.
I was discussing this with my girlfriend the other day while Dancin in the Streets or White Kids Dress Like Puffy and Dance was on. (I have no idea what the hell half of these movies are called.) Actually, it was more like I talked and she said something like "Yeah, you're right. Now shhhh...this is where they dance."
So maybe you will agree too. Both genres have mostly bad acting and stringy scripts that simply connect one visually appealing scene to the next. These scenes have their own art to them and can take lots of time, but let's not kid ourselves. It's mindless entertainment, and there is nothing wrong with that. You don't really learn anything from either one and you usually leave happy if that is your kind of mindless entertainment. Here is a skeleton of a script for either genre to further prove my point.
Beginning of movie introduces main character and their struggle/shows off their ability by either a) dancing or b) kicking ass. Someone betrays them by a) killing a family member or b) saying they can't really dance and maybe that they are poor or dirty or "you got served" (Did McDonalds write that one or what? ) Enter optional training sequence. Action man kills his way to the top, dancer dances his/her way to the top. Final show down. Lots of one liners everywhere. Hero wins and gets the girl/ boy/ both. The End. Everyone leaves the theater saying "wow, remember when he did this? I wish I could (fly through the air, shoot someone in the head through their own sniper lense, dance like that, beat someone to death with their own arm, etc.,etc.)

Now take this info and go write Transporter 4 and Step Up 3! And for God's sake add more pun laden one liners!

No comments: